Sunday, May 18, 2008

Amateur Cocktail Hour Part Two

The other night, I decided to indulge my curiosity and sample a vodka martini. I'm no normally a vodka drinker of any note, nor am I a martini afficionado. M likes them, but he prefers a dry gin martini to a vodka one. We scored some 42 Below vodka on sale, hotwever, so it seemed like an ideal time to test it out. I always wanted to love the martini: they're so clear and sexy looking. I don't mind the first few mouthfuls, but I get bored with them pretty quickly. I know I like them as dry as possible, and with a lemon twist rather than an olive.

The vodka martini was delicious, but I couldn't drink all of it. It's probably pyschological, but I always seem to get sick of them about 2/3rds of the way through, and give the rest to M. But 42 Below is wonderful stuff.

M tried something different for the garnish. Alert readers will observe that, in place of the more traditional stuffed olive, M has opted for a Ferrero Rocher chocolate on a toothpick, adding a dessert twist to a pre-dinner drink. He said it was lovely, actually.

No comments: