Saturday, May 17, 2008

Desert Monkeys


Presenting: The Desert Monkeys.

When I got this yarn from eBay, I surprised myself. I'm not really one for the orange-russet palate, and I don't really like light blue with anything even vaguely warmish. And I'm not really into cashmere for socks, as decadent as it is (actually, that's probably it: I'm probably discomfited by decadence). But the colours are my mother's palate: she loves autumn colours, and this yarn suits her to a tee. So I bought it with the intention of knitting her some luxurious socks. These are they.

I can't believe how much I have loved knitting these socks.

Yarn: Jojoland's Quartette. Now, alas, discontinued, but I shall be haunting Ravelry's destash and swap groups, just in case.

The yarn is bliss: it's springy, buttery, and so, so soft. Working with this yarn is such a textile delight that I would probably sleep with it if it asked me. As the lace emerged, the colours made me think of the blue sky over the desert, hence the name.

And the pattern was fun, too: I have, in the past, found myself working on socks out of obligation, searching for the groove that I see so many other bloggers getting into with their socks. And this time, I found it. Cookie A's Monkeys, worked from the toes-up. I have decided I love toe-up socks; they make a lot of sense to me and seem like the best way of making socks. The short row heel was a delightful pirouette, and has, for a change, provided enough space for one to slide one's foot into the sock -- I've had trouble with short row heels before, where they've been far too tight. Not these babies.

As well as being a delight (a bliss) to knit, these socks have brought a little drama and excitement with them. Readers who have been paying attention will have realised that these are the very socks that M became involved in, during the fateful incident involving a needle and the fleshier parts of his foot. These are socks baptised with blood.

And so, they have been bundled up into a little paper sock sleeve, with a short biography and care instructions, and they will be shortly winging their way towards their new owner, my Mum. She'll love them, I'm certain.

(I had to cast on a pair for myself with the leftover yarn to ensure I could bear to part with these. I don't think this is a problem, provided I don't run out of yarn too soon to complete a pair of footlets for myself. If I do...I'm not above swiping them while Mum's back is turned.)

No comments: